Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default HF Variable Speed Multi-Tool -- Soft Start?

On Jul 19, 11:20*am, "Leon" wrote:
"RonB" wrote in message

On Jul 19, 10:40 am, "Leon" wrote:

"RonB" wrote in message

Could be an under powered motor struggling to come up to speed. If that
tends to go away with use things may have been too tight for the motor. I
really can not see a need for a soft start.

I finally found a search combination on Google that got me to a few
related reviews and forum comments. *It does have a "soft start"
feature that is described as anywhere from "nice" to "humorous". *I
does take a few uses of the machine to get used to it. One rather
critical fellow said he starts it, goes to lunch, then comes back to
use it :^). *Not quite that bad but it takes a full second or more to
come to speed.

RonB

If it works and you are satisfied that is all you need especially
considering the price. *Wishing I had not needed the Fein 5 years ago....

Since I posted earlier this morning I have been in the garage playing
with it and various attachments, materials. Durability
notwithstanding, I think it is going to be a great tool to have,
probably one of those that will find new uses as I go on from here.
It appears to have plenty of power and I was very surprised at the
control. Their ads show someone doing rather precise cutting on
hardwood flooring and I had doubt. But with practice I think that
might be feasible, I saw a couple of complaints about noise that I
do not understand. Without an attachment, the tool is quiet. Cutting
through a piece of plywood scrap with the saw blade was noisy; but
that is the speaker-cone effect on the plywood.

Wish I had owned it a year or so ago when we were trimming door frames
in the new house.

RonB