Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Mig Welders

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 05:31:17 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

An excellent welder for autobody is the Lincoln SP125 plus, may be
SP135plus now, with continuously variable heat setting. If you visit
a restoration or custom body shop, that's what you'll see at the
workstations.

I'll look them up and see what kind of deals they have on them at the
local
welding suppliers. If I get a 230V extension cord I may be able to use my
Century MIG welder, I don't remember its specs but I think it can do thin
auto body sheet metals.

RogerN

It probably can. My Millermatic 210 can too, but the little red box
does it sooo much better. Depends on how demanding you intend to be
about your welds. My Millermatic 210 could do it but it'd probably
require more grinding and cleanup.

Having continuous heat control on the Century makes it look
promising, but Century is/was a second-tier supplier not as good as
Miller and Lincoln. BTW, Hobart and Miller are the same now.

It looks like today's Century welders are made by Lincoln. The Lincoln
sounds great, the current model I'm finding is a SP140T, do you know if one
of those are suitable for auto body like I want? Currently I plan to get a
bottle of Gas and some sheet metal and start practicing with the Century and
looking at/for a Lincoln 120V SP.

I have no personal experience with the SP140T, but it has 4 taps
rather than continuous control. The SP140C would be a better choice
for autobody.

For more on this, see
http://reviews.ebay.com/BUYING-A-MIG...:-1:LISTINGS:1