Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Refinishing furniture

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 16:49:29 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote the following:

"John" wrote in message
We have an old piece of furniture that my wife wants to refinish white
for my daughter's room. The piece is a maple piece varnished with a
gloss finish (but finishes are my weak point so I can't tell if it's
an oil based varnish or not...).

I can't tell from here, either, John.

I'm assuming I need to sand, but do I need to sand the finish right
off, or just score it so the paint stays? There are a lot of
intricate edges on the piece, and sanding by hand might be difficult.
Would I be able to use my sandblaster for the those areas?

Sure, for +-1/4" surface level tolerances. Go for it!

Also, what kinds of paint would people recommend?

White, John.

Is this a troll?

Need you ask?

--
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels,
throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions,
with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711