Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Mig Welders

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:23:02 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

Went to my building full of stuff and brought my Century MIG welder home.
It is Century item number 83145. 130A @30% duty cycle, 145A max @20% duty
cycle. Primary 230VAC, 22A, I have sufficient 230V in the area, just need
to make a plug adapter/extension cord.

According to the front panel it is supposed to be able to go as low as
24Ga
steel. I haven't found the owners manual PDF online but I should have it
around here somewhere! :-) I was able to find a PDF exploded parts view
of
it though.

http://www.centuryweldingparts.com/d...9,%2083145.pdf

I plan to get a bottle of argon/co2 mix tomorrow and connections so I can
plug it in to power. I'll give it a try on auto body and see how it does.
It has pots for amp and wire feed, not stepped adjustments, I don't see
why
it wouldn't work OK.

RogerN

It should indeed work. Get as small a wire as you can..probably
.020-.024 and a few tips of the proper size. A GOOD wire cup wheel and
you should be good to go.

Btw...when trying something like this for the first time...I always weld
a bit on similar sized scrap, making adjustments and whatnot.

Ive had more than a few surprises when I didnt. Cringe.....

Gunner

I've never had good luck with long runs on thin stuff. I have had good luck
with staggered spot welds. If you make long runs, you get a LOT of warpage.

Or, that was my experience. Keep a little diary, and it will keep you from
experimenting around so much with scraps. It will also keep you from
blowing so many holes in stuff.

And importantly, torch angles so you make the puddle flow to the edge from
the flat piece works better, because if you start right on an edge, you will
burn it up instantly.

Get lots of scraps and practice a lot. Particularly spotting, rosettes,
pushing instead of pulling, staggering, and recognizing the color of when it
is just right cool to stack the next spot. And learn how to stack your
spots like the "stack of dimes" or snazzy looking TIG welds.

I'll do some soon and post them to flickr. I got a couple of projects
coming up. Might even do youtube. Would sure like to catch that on video
if my camera will cooperate.

Steve