Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Mig Welders

"RogerN" wrote in message
news

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 08:21:19 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

Im not...not a body guy. Id rather take a beating than do body work.

But Ive got a little Lincoln Weldpac 100 and a Hobart 150 (220vot) that
do rather nicely for this sort of work. The Weldpak is 110volts and one
can easily install a gas kit into it for less than $100.

Ive had the Lincoln for at least 10 yrs, its banged around the inside of
my service trucks most of that time, and it still works just hunky dory.

Ive loaned the Lincoln out a number of times to buddies who do body work
and they all have had no issues with it. The Hobart gets less such work
as it is 220volt..but it will go down there just fine, with .020 wire,
just like the Lincoln.

I think the Lincoln runs $340ish or thereabouts and the Hobarts
replacement is about $450

Ebay may be one place to check as some..some..some of the pricing has
gone down as buyers have run out of money due to the economy and one can
find some really good deals occasionally.

I have found that with mig welders...getting one locally and actually
running a bead or 3 tends to be best..as you know exactly what you are
getting. And any issues have ether been correcte by the present
owner..or they will tell you about them if you ask properly.

Gunner, who buys and sells welding equipment

The current version on the Lincoln seems to be a SP140T the best I can
tell, they also have a Power MIG 140 for about $100+ more but I don't know
what the difference is other than the price.

RogerN

Probably either: a better gun, comes with a gas solenoid kit, has the
infinite vs/jump heat ranges, or has better component parts, and perhaps
even an extra set or two of rollers. First time your liner takes a dump,
put an .045" in there, and forget about it for about five years.

Steve