Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mig Welders

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 23:24:09 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 13:56:40 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

An excellent welder for autobody is the Lincoln SP125 plus, may be
SP135plus now, with continuously variable heat setting. If you visit
a restoration or custom body shop, that's what you'll see at the
workstations.

Ayup..basiclly an updated and improved Weldpak.

Good stuff and check ebay for used ones.

They look similar, but does the Weldpak have continuously adjustable
heat (voltage) vs a 4-position switch?

Nope. 4 postition switch. But for $100-150 used...shrug
I ran some .020 wire with it not long ago and it was very usable, but I
did have to play with torch height a bit while welding before I found a
compromise height.

I think the Weldpak line was/is a consumer "fighting model" sold thru
outlets like Northern and HD. I would not assume that it works as
well as an SP135 Plus for autobody. I also wouldn't assume that it
doesn't; try before buy if possible.

Indeed.

Gunner

Gunner Asch