Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Mig Welders

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 13:56:40 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

An excellent welder for autobody is the Lincoln SP125 plus, may be
SP135plus now, with continuously variable heat setting. If you visit
a restoration or custom body shop, that's what you'll see at the
workstations.

Ayup..basiclly an updated and improved Weldpak.

Good stuff and check ebay for used ones.

They look similar, but does the Weldpak have continuously adjustable
heat (voltage) vs a 4-position switch?

I think the Weldpak line was/is a consumer "fighting model" sold thru
outlets like Northern and HD. I would not assume that it works as
well as an SP135 Plus for autobody. I also wouldn't assume that it
doesn't; try before buy if possible.

You are correct. One of the main differences between the machines sold at
welding supply houses and the Borg was the infinite vs. step heat range.
With the infinite variety, you can up or down just a tad. With the jump,
it's just that, one's too hot, one's too cold. IIRC, the interior parts in
the Borg models had more parts made out of plastic. I opted for the SP175+
so I'd have all the bells and whistles. Except for the cranky trigger
switch, which I am about to change if this last fix doesn't cure it, I got
no complaints whatsoever. Had been a Miller man before that, but either is
good.

Steve