Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Mig Welders

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:42:02 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

Thanks for all the good information! The Hobart welders are what they carry
in all the farm supply type of stores around here. The Hobart 140 I looked
at today at Rural-King had only 4 steps for heat settings, the 180 and 210
version each had 7 steps. Have you ever had any problem with having steps
instead of continuously variable heat control?

YES.

Steps are OK for 1/16" metal and heavier, but for thin body metal the
ability to tweak to "just right" makes a huge difference. The
difference between good fusion and burnthru is rather narrow with thin
metal so getting heat, wire speed and welding speed all just right
makes all the difference.

I had an import MIG with a 4 position switch. I wasn't really
looking for another one when the guy at the welding store had me try
the little Linc. WOW! He was chuckling as he said he knew I wouldn't
leave without it. I definitely got my money's worth out of that
little red box doing rust work on the fleet at the time.

Later I may get a bottle of Argon and see what damage I can do with my TIG
welder.

RogerN