Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Craftman Cordless Drill

Red wrote:
On Jul 18, 3:27 pm, "
wrote:

If you're handy with a soldering gun you can search the web for 'nicad
batteries', buy the ones with soldering tabs attached, and rebuild
your own battery packs.

Those aren't "soldering tabs". They're intended to be welded. Soldering to
the tabs *might* work, but the heat doesn't do the cells any good.

Wrong. They are called solder tabs. See: http://www.megabatteries.com/?cat1=35
I've rebuilt several battery packs by soldering the tabs and have
never had a problem with the batteries.

Red

From what I have seen... if there is a tab on both ends, it's for
soldering to a PC board. I've installed hundreds of them. Maybe over
1000 of them.

If it doesn't have solder tabs, it's either made to go in a battery
holder, or have tabs spot welded for a battery pack.

I've rebuilt a couple battery packs, and if the batteries all had a tab
at each end, it would never look so neat and compact as the originals
because in battery packs the welded tabs go different directions. That
would be difficult to weld them in the proper direction.

There is a chance some may come with tabs on one end, then it's also for
spot welding together for a battery pack. They can still rotate it so
the one tab is pointing the right direction and the other end gets
welded in what ever position is needed.

Look at some old, old mother boards and you will see a battery soldered
on the board. That was before they went to the user replaceable flat
ones. Actually the flat ones can also come with solder tabs also. I've
replaced some of them also in equipment I've worked on.