Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Craftman Cordless Drill

On Jul 18, 3:45*pm, Red wrote:
On Jul 18, 3:27*pm, "

wrote:

If you're handy with a soldering gun you can search the web for 'nicad
batteries', buy the ones with soldering tabs attached, and rebuild
your own battery packs.

Those aren't "soldering tabs". *They're intended to be welded. *Soldering to
the tabs *might* work, but the heat doesn't do the cells any good.

Wrong. They are called solder tabs. *See:http://www.megabatteries.com/?cat1=35
I've rebuilt several battery packs by soldering the tabs and have
never had a problem with the batteries.

Red

Any heat is a nicad killler even the heat of sun and overcharging, but
it takes time to kill them. Ive heard of freezing the cells before
soldering. I soldered a set and clipped on several heat clamps but the
cells still got real hot. Freezing is a good option but usualy by the
time you finish the cells wont fit back in the pack since factory
machine soldering is compact, my pack was a worthless mess when I
finished.