Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Mig Welders

"RogerN" wrote

I plan to get a bottle of argon/co2 mix tomorrow and connections so I can
plug it in to power. I'll give it a try on auto body and see how it does.
It has pots for amp and wire feed, not stepped adjustments, I don't see
why it wouldn't work OK.

RogerN

I have found that with thin sheet metal, it is better to make a series of
tacks, rather than long runs, as those generally fall through. Use the
color as a guide. Make a tack, and wait until it cools down to yellow
fading away. From the available glow of the light of the puddle, you should
have enough light to already be positioned for the next spot. I do it in a
push situation, pushing the next puddle in front of the other, rather than
pulling the wire away. Got some mighty fine stitch welds like that, and far
less burnthrough. If you burn through, it's a bitch to fill up the hole, or
stop and make a patch, and the patches look like hell. Jump around and let
it cool inbetween spots to keep distortion low.

Steve