Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mig Welders

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 17:07:39 -0500, "Snag" wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 11:48:08 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 08:21:19 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

Any recommendations on a favorite MIG welder for auto body sheet
metal?

RogerN

You have conflicting objectives, wanting a MIG that can do heavier
welding, including aluminum, but still a best choice for autobody.

An excellent welder for autobody is the Lincoln SP125 plus, may be
SP135plus now, with continuously variable heat setting. If you
visit a restoration or custom body shop, that's what you'll see at
the workstations.

Ayup..basiclly an updated and improved Weldpak.

Gunner Asch

Got the Weldpak 100 with gas . Works sweet on up to 3/16" stick , for
bigger there's a Tombstone under the bench .
For body panel type stuff I tack-n-skip then go back and do it again ,
then again . Helps keep flat panels flat - especially if I hammer-n-dolly
the welds between passes .

You are a very smart fellow!!

The only issue I have with the Weldpak is sometimes the spool tightens
up the wingnut holding the spool and stops the wire..other times the
wingnut comes loose while in storage in a vehicle and when I go to use
it..it has a big rats nest in the compartment. So I put big Dymo labels
on the front..CHECK SPOOL NUT!!! in bright yellow. Never had a
problem after that.

Gunner

Gunner Asch