Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Craftman Cordless Drill

On Jul 18, 11:17*am, wrote:
My wife bought me a 19.2 volt craftsman drill 5 or 6 years ago. *I use
it regularly and love it. *I added the small circular saw and the
small vacuum a few years later. *Both work well for occassional small
jobs. *The three original batteries eventually went bad, so I bought
two new ones which are still working but probably will need to be
replaced in the next few years. *That leads me to my question. *I read
somewhere about having tool batteries rebuilt to save money (and the
environment). *I looked at quite a few online businesses and the going
rate is around $50 per battery. *That seemed high so I went to the
sears site and found I could buy new ones for $30 to $35 each. *What
am I missing? *Why would it cost more to rebuild old batteries than to
buy new ones? *All the rebuild sites bragged about their price being
half of new batteries, but instead, they seem to be almost double. *I
think all the batteries I have looked at are NiCDs, but some don't say
and could be NiMH. *Capacities range from 1500 mAh to 2100 mAH.
Capacity doesn't matter much for my small jobs. *Having one in the
tool and another charged and ready to go has worked out well.

Pat

I think you should pick up a few packs, I just asked my worker who is
borrowing my drill why he isnt using his any of his 2- 19.2v sears and
one 18v sears , he said the batteries are about 80-90$$ and they are
bad, I will tell him about sears online. The reason is they have extra
I guess, the buy alot of them in bulk cheap and are selling off a load
real cheap. Batteries in bulk manufacture are the highest profit
margin on the tool. Is it sears regular site?