Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y
Alex Heney Alex Heney is offline

Default Are these car brakes worn?

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 01:11:16 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Alex Heney
writes
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:05:28 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Alex Heney" wrote in message

No set of front brake pads would get near to lasting me a year at
present, from new. But I am driving 40,000 miles per year, which seems
unlikely for somebody who (from her other posts) is a pretty new
driver.

How do you manage to wear them so quickly?

By driving normally.

I have never managed to wear out a set of pads on a car yet and I do about
80,000 (about 3 years) miles before changing cars.

You must be driving almost entirely on motorways then.

And even then, that seems exceptional. When I have looked it up
previously, it has always been suggested that "normal" life for a set
of front brake pads is around 15000 - 25000 miles, depending on the
style and type of driving.

How can this be so?

Dennis stated only a few days ago that he did 30,000 miles last year

So last year was a little above average for him, but not much if 80K
is his normal amount over 3 years.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Positive: Mistaken at the top of one's voice.