Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Are these car brakes worn?

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
a GOOD handbrake will lock the rear wheels. Typically .3-.5g.

More cr@p. A good handbrake will easily lock the rear wheels but you
won't have enough grip to get .5G.

You're talking FWD here where the wheels lock because there's no weight
over them. On a RWD car with 50:50 weight distribution, you could
theoretically get 0.5g, as there is no weight transfer when braking just
the rear wheels. As indeed I did get with a Rover P6.

If you get .5G then the weight will transfer to the front and the rear
wheels will lock, then the weight will transfer back.
This will repeat at some frequency dependent on the car.

Also you can expect the rear end to slide with the wheels locked as
anyone that has done so would be able to tell you. Why don't you go and
try it somewhere and see before you make stuff up.

Perhaps you'd tell me about any modern RWD car which will lock the rear
wheels using the handbrake.

A smart, maybe.

My BMW which has separate drums for the
parking brake certainly won't. It is purely for parking - not emergency
use. My SD1 Rover with 10 in rear drums won't lock the wheels using the
handbrake either. But achieves 0.35g at MOT time.

On a static rolling road, not under driving conditions.