Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y
Ian[_9_] Ian[_9_] is offline

Default Are these car brakes worn?

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
Spamlet wrote:

You may have got off lightly too. Plenty of places seem to insist
that you
need new discs as well...

On accasions when the job has needed doing and I have been too busy
do it mself I've been charged up to £600 + VAT by a main dealer for
replacement of two disks and pads.

I could replace my car for £600:-)

But even a non mechanic like me can swap a set of front pads in the
street

Ummmm -- isn't that illegal????? )

in less than 1 hour using a trolley jack and a few basic tools. On a
ramp with air tools it is even easier.

I actually got the local garage to change the pads last time as it
was in for an MOT and it was minus 3 outside in the daytime. I
supplied the pads and they charged me half an hours labour. Well
worth the money in those temperatures. It was not much warmer in
their garage.

Adam