Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are these car brakes worn?

ARWadsworth wrote:

What transpires is that people join the AA as a way of NOT doing car
maintenance at all.

which is why its expensive.
I believe that you are only allowed so many call outs a year before they
stop your membership.

I actually do have breakdown cover due to the long distances I sometimes
travel and often with a disabled passenger. Over the years that I have
had cover I would have been better off banking my money and paying for a
tow truck for the two occasions that I have used them. Both recoveries
were less than 30miles and were not due to a lack of maintainance.

I agree.

I think that the AA/RAC is simply only justified if you know sod all about
cars, and the thought of being stranded somewhere without a number to
call bothers you.

One of the times I broke down was on the motorway. The police pulled up
behind me and warned me that I only had 1 hour to get off the hard shoulder
or they would arrange recovery for me and I would be billed for it. I am not
sure that if I am 200 or more miles away from home on a Mway that I would be
able to arrange recovery as easily as calling my breakdown company and
saying "help". So yes, the lack of a number bothers me when so far from
home.

When my clapped out Sierra (student days) decided to seize it's diff in
Tintwhistle I just left it and hitched a lift home. I never saw the car
again. I left the keys in the glovebox and called a scrap yard to take it
away the next morning and posted off the log book.

It is not always my van or car that I am driving. I am not sure that the
owners would like me to leave their car/van if it broke down and let me
hitch home.

Then it is their responsibility to not end or hire it to you, or arrange
suitable cover.

Adam