Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Are these car brakes worn?

Albert wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
Spamlet wrote:

You may have got off lightly too. Plenty of places seem to insist that you
need new discs as well...

TBH replacing pads and disks is such a simple job that it's aggravating
to see what garages charge. Charging 1.5 hours to replace pads is a
rip-off.

How much do you think the tools cost to do the job? How much the council
taxes for the premises? Staff bill? Public Insurance liability?
Electricity? Being blamed for the exhaust pipe falling off after
changing the spark plugs?

What in all that list justifies charging for hours that were not worked?
I have an hourly rate for my work, does the fact that I have to pay
council tax, rent on business premises, staff wages, public liability
and professional indemnity, electricity, heating oil, incredibly high
charges for "tools of the trade"[1] and cope with customer complaints if
they occur justify me charging the customer extra hours for work not
done?

If being a mechanic is so easy you try having a go at it.

Where did I say that being a mechanic was easy? Perhaps you could
confine your whining to the realm of reality?

[1] If you think mechanics have to pay a high price for tools, you
should try being in my industry where licensing fees on tools can cost
as much per year as an "executive" car. And then there are the annual
professional membership fees, the routine examinations, audit etc that
mechanics don't have to do or pay for. So whine me no whines.