Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default On the trail anecdote

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 02:30:50 -0400, "J. Clarke"

"J. on Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:58:30
On 7/15/2010 8:39 PM, cavelamb wrote:
Jeff R. wrote:
"Gunner wrote in message

So why do people carry the poodle caliber?

Hmmm...
I suspect James "PPK" Bond might offer a contrary opinion..

...and if anyone suggests that I'm using fiction to support a factual
claim, well, I think *that* accusation could be more accurately
directed to "someone else" (think "Walter Mitty") in this thread (and
this group, for that matter.)

Besides, I'd trust James Bond to be accurate and fact-based way ahead
of "Great-Cull" Gunner.

Also - at the risk of invoking Godwin's, it seems that "poodle
calibre" was enough to finish off Adolph himself...
(Well - OK - it was pretty close range, but it seems to have done the
job.)

In the US, and for sure Texas, most armed conflict is within 9 feet.

At that range, a .22 could be lethal.

A .22 can be lethal at quite long ranges--they have surprisingly good
penetration and a good one is marvelously accurate. The trouble with
the .22 is that it's got virtually no stopping power--"stopping" and
"killing" aren't the same. In a firefight your first priority is to
make the other guy stop fighting--if he gets killed in the process
that's the way it goes but that's not your priority. And it takes a
very well placed shot with a .22 to reliably put somebody down. When
Reagan was shot with one he didn't even know he'd been hit until
somebody saw the blood. He knew he'd been _hurt_ but he thought that
the Secret Service busted a rib hustling him into the limo.

This is a .22 caliber derringer, one of the smallest, lightest
handguns ever made. It's over a hundred years old and might not even
penetrate your skull if I miss your eye socket. So you have to ask
yourself just one question: "Do I feel lucky?" - Ancient Kung Foole
Proverb

So, do you feel lucky?

A .22LR from a 1-3/4" barrel quite successfully penetrated James Brady's
skull in that same shooting. No eye socket involved.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/38848/...-s-22-revolver

And what was the range? It should be noted that it didnt kill him
either, despite penetrating his skull and entering his brain.

Im aware of a lady whos husband was cheating on her. During a party..she
went upstairs and shot herself in the side of the head with a Davis .25.

She woke up somewhere between 5-30 minutes later and rejoined the party.
She was dancing and having a very good time and suddenly fell over dead
as a blood vessel in her skull finally ruptured. Elapsed time from the
shot to her sudden death was somewhere around 45 minutes according to
the coroner.

Sure one wants to use a 25 for self defense? Its Bigger than a 22.

Shrug

Gunner

Gunner Asch