YJJim

Default Review of the new Porter Cable 895PK- Part 1

Well, I finally remembered to look at the lockout slide that is
supposed to keep you from changing bits while the power is on. I
don't know if mine is broken or if it is supposed to work this way.
When I raise the router to its highest position using the above the
table tool, it locks the collet fine. When I take the router out of
the table and do it by hand, the lock seems to work. I can force the
router past the lock, but it is hard by hand. When using the above
the table tool, it happens easily. It looks like the added torque of
the tool allows it to force the locking pin past the lockout slide.
However, the slide does not appear to be "broken", but rather just
takes a lot of force to push the pin through the slide.

That said, maybe I did break it the first time I tried to raise it all
the way up? Does anyone know if this is supposed to happen? Is this
a safety risk that I should be concerned about? Should I consider
taking it back? Personally, I like the way it works for me right now,
but I'm concerned that it will get more loose over time and the
lockout won't work at all. Is that likely a real issue on the fixed
base? Since I wouldn't be adjusting the height while running the
motor, I'm not sure this could be a real safety concern.

YJJim

Greg G. wrote in message . ..
YJJim said:

The auto-collet on mine works, BUT... I had to remove the plastic
"dust director" (or whatever you call it) plate. On the 894 fixed
base, there is a plastic insert that directs dust to the handle for
the through the handle dust removal. This insert prevents the fixed
base from extending to the lowest router position. I was very annoyed
when I first got the router becuase the auto-collet didn't work and
the above the table features were why I bought this thing. Well,
after examining the mechansim, I saw the problem and removed the
plastic insert. Once gone, the auto-collet on the fixed base works
perfectly. The only problem is that if you want to use the through
the handle feature, you will have to reinsert the plastic piece. I
don't really plan to take the fixed base out of my table very often so
this isn't a major concern.

The PC895PK kit doesn't have the plastic dust shield on the fixed
base, but it IS on the plunge base. But the router body rack (toothed
rack running down the side of the router body) hits the fixed base and
causes the router to twist in the base before the collet lock pin ever
engages. Doesn't work at all.

I can't comment on the plunge right now because I have only used the
plunge twice and don't remember whether it worked correctly or not. I
am mostly using this router in the table.

Plunge hits the dust shield before engaging, as did your fixed base.
But even with the plastic dust collection plate removed - which is
stupid because that is when you WANT dust collection, when doing
hand-held plunge routing - the plunge base collet lock doesn't work.

I don't have this problem. I have mine plugged in to a seperate power
switch in the table and the router switch is always in the "on"
position. I don't understand the problem you have because mine works
perfectly.

The plastic switch lock-out slide keeps the pin from engaging - it was
designed to do that very thing. Perhaps you have already broken yours
without knowing/noticing. That was one of my complaints.

[Q] If you leave your router on, change bits from the top of the
table, and use the auto-collet lock, look at yours and see if it has
broken the plastic slide. I'd bet you a donut it has.

I don't understand this comment either. Mine has two holes in the
plate for making through the table adjustments. First, you insert the
tool in the first hole and unlock the locking mechanism (this releases
the motor catch). Second, you insert the tool in the second hole and
adjust the height. Once the height is adjusted, you relock the
mechanism. Hence, no reaching under the table is required.

I understand how it works. The point was, to move the router up and
down for bit changes, or make major adjustments in height, you would
have to turn that screw 16 full turns - a bit of a pain. The lock
that releases the body for *major* adjustments or body removal in
still under the table. No big deal, but a Mast-R-Lift would be a much
more eloquent solution.

I'm interested to hear if any of this helps with your problems, but it
sounds like Greg may have gotten a lemon. I am very happy with my
PC894 and have no thoughts about returning it.

The motor itself seems like a serviceable piece, even if it IS made in
China with offshore bearings and such. The soft-start/speed
controller is made in Holland, FYI. I am just shocked at how many of
the "special features" on this unit were poorly designed and don't
work properly. This unit has the feel of something that was rushed
into market with little testing. I expected more of PC.

Greg G.