Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.energy
Jonathan Grobe[_2_] Jonathan Grobe[_2_] is offline

Default Estimating/Measuring Hot Water Heater Electrical Usage?

On 2010-07-16, ransley wrote:
On Jul 16, 9:56*am, Jonathan Grobe wrote:

In future years I expect massive energy costs increases as
well as a substantial decline in my income. So I want to cut
energy use substantially.
Right now I am trying to find out exactly how much energy each
appliance, etc is using. If I know how much it is using I can
evaluate alternatives.

Then junk the electric and go gas if you can for everything. If you
really want a better idea compare everything by BTUs and cost, you can
figure a conversion cost of BTUs for electric and gas, I am maybe 60%
more per BTU for electric and electricity will always be more than
gas, Now in this heat alot of my electric come from Ng powered
substations.

I don't have natural gas available; only propane--which is
substantially higher price than natural gas. And if I get propane
part of the energy is going up the chimney. So it's not that
clearcut like it is for natural gas.

But I have been thinking of propane tankless, solar powered and electric
heat pump as alternatives. But they all depend on exactly how much
money they would save vs how much they would cost.

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at: