Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Windpower, other thoughts on deign? was Solar power

"Stu Fields" on Thu, 15 Jul 2010 08:17:58 -0700 typed

Cleaning maybe accomplished by the wind that we get around here. If it only
blows 45mph, no one thinks much of it. Probably a good wind generator area
also, but I don't like whirling things above my head unless I'm in my
helicopter.

This is one of those questions I have, why does a wind turbine
_have_ to look like a airplane propeller?
I keep thinking of the roof top 'turbines' used to draw hot air
out of an attic space. So it seems to me that it would not be that
difficult to build a "squirrel cage" fan on it's side so that the axis
is vertical. If you want, you could make a pivoting shroud to open
into the wind. Might want to make the intake 'larger' than the exit,
get a little boost ...

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!