Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default On the trail anecdote

On 7/15/2010 8:39 PM, cavelamb wrote:
Jeff R. wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

So why do people carry the poodle caliber?

Hmmm...
I suspect James "PPK" Bond might offer a contrary opinion..

...and if anyone suggests that I'm using fiction to support a factual
claim, well, I think *that* accusation could be more accurately
directed to "someone else" (think "Walter Mitty") in this thread (and
this group, for that matter.)

Besides, I'd trust James Bond to be accurate and fact-based way ahead
of "Great-Cull" Gunner.

Also - at the risk of invoking Godwin's, it seems that "poodle
calibre" was enough to finish off Adolph himself...
(Well - OK - it was pretty close range, but it seems to have done the
job.)

In the US, and for sure Texas, most armed conflict is within 9 feet.

At that range, a .22 could be lethal.

A .22 can be lethal at quite long ranges--they have surprisingly good
penetration and a good one is marvelously accurate. The trouble with
the .22 is that it's got virtually no stopping power--"stopping" and
"killing" aren't the same. In a firefight your first priority is to
make the other guy stop fighting--if he gets killed in the process
that's the way it goes but that's not your priority. And it takes a
very well placed shot with a .22 to reliably put somebody down. When
Reagan was shot with one he didn't even know he'd been hit until
somebody saw the blood. He knew he'd been _hurt_ but he thought that
the Secret Service busted a rib hustling him into the limo.