Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.energy
T. Keating T. Keating is offline

Default Estimating/Measuring Hot Water Heater Electrical Usage?

On 16 Jul 2010 05:29:24 GMT, Jonathan Grobe
wrote:

I have a traditional 220 volt electric hot water heater and would
like to estimate or measure how much electricity it is using.

Suggestions?

Turn it off for a day..

If you have low flow shower heads, you should be able to coast thru
the day on one tank..

At day break the next morning.. Read your electric meter to 10th's of
kwh and the turn the HW back on.. The meter should spin like a top
until it reaches temp (less than a hour).. Re-read the electric
meter..

Then add in 2 or 3 kwh to that figure compensate for not maintaining a
constant temp during the day. (Warmer tanks loose more thermal energy
to their surroundings)..

Variations of this method can be used to measure HW energy usage to
dish washer and washing machine.

Has anyone here done this? What results did you find?

Just keeping a wrapped HW @ temp with no usage consumes 2 to 3kwh per
day..

I now turn on HW for just a few minutes to warm up enough water for
the task at hand... shower.. 8-14 minutes(depending on season) .. Dish
Washer (15 minutes).. Laundry. 25 minutes for 4 to 5
warm(wash)/cold(rinse) loads for my front loader washing machine.

note: This technique significantly extends the life span of the HW..

Are there any national statistics on this?

It's going to vary based on local climate and incoming water temp,
etc..

P.S. I live in a hot climate..

Thanks.

http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/waterheating.htm