Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.energy
mike[_11_] mike[_11_] is offline

Default Estimating/Measuring Hot Water Heater Electrical Usage?

Jonathan Grobe wrote:
I have a traditional 220 volt electric hot water heater and would
like to estimate or measure how much electricity it is using.

Suggestions?

Has anyone here done this? What results did you find?

Are there any national statistics on this?

Thanks.

How much it draws is written on the label.
Or you could time the electric meter going around.
Hook a 220V clock across the heating element.
The clock runs only when the heater is on.
Have an electrician do it. House wiring is
unsafe....my lawyer made me say that...
'cause it's true.

Depending on the age of the water heater,
there's an "energy guide" sticker on it that shows the range
of usage for that type of appliance. If not,
go visit a water heater store and read some labels
there.

All electric water heaters use the same amount of energy
to heat the same amount of water. Differences are in
how much energy is lost thru less-than-perfect insulation.

I just went thru that procedure using a current
clamp and a computer. I can tell you exactly
how much my water heater is costing me.
A shower costs me 16.5 cents.
But...I only have one option.
USE LESS HOT WATER.
And I don't need ANY measurements to tell me that.