Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default OT - Parking scam at Lidl

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:59:35 +0100, "John" wrote:

The point that you (and everyone else it would seem) are missing is that it
is not a _public_ car park, it is _Lidl's_ car park.

T%hey can build a full scale model of the Empire State Building for
all I care.

I assume that when Lidl
were spending the time, money and effort to build a car park outside their
shop, they were intending it to be for their own customers. The fact that
they didn't explicitly state this on a sign somewhere, or barrier it off to
all except Lidl customers should not matter.

Well it does, trust me.

The car park is on their land,
outside their store, so by implication the car park is for their customers.

Perfectly fine. Motorists parking without the permission of Lidl are
trespassers. There is provision within the law for them to get redress
through the courts, story - end of.

If your house has a driveway and/or a garage, the builder put it there for
the homeowner to use, not the public.

Correct, if someone uninvited were to park on my drive I'd tell them
to leave. I don't recall Lidl doing any such thing their car
park, it would seem to be a rather ridiculous thing to do.

BTW I believe the law treats trespassers on commercial properties
differently to trespassers in someone's house and the police would
remove them, Viz Centre Point. They most certainly wouldn't expend
their resouces moving cars from Lidl's car park.

If you want to go to the bank or the Post Office and do general shopping,
use a public car park.

I keep asking this ... :-((

Are you trying to tell us you would move your car out of a supermarket
parking space if you had to go to post a letter, pay in a cheque
(etc) even if you knew there would be no parking available near the
postbox , bank etc ?

If so I don't believe you.

Derek