Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jethro[_5_] Jethro[_5_] is offline

Default OT - Parking scam at Lidl

On 16 July, 11:45, stuart noble wrote:
Derek Geldard wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:19:21 +0100, Donwill
wrote:

Unless that Lidls car park is a destination in its own right and people
go there for the experience - though I can't imagine why.

At the moment people know that they cannot park for more than two hours
otherwise they will be penalised quite fairly in my opinion.

Charging £90 for parking 3 minutes over in a "Free" car park cannot by
any stretch of their imagination be described as fair.

Even if a claim against the motorist was to succeed the car park
operator can only claim for their losses (Or the actual cost to them).

If they say the car park is free then out of their own mouths they
have established the cost basis of operating the parking space. In
this respect t is immaterial where you go once you have left the car.

If Lidl want to reserve spaces for/give precedence to their own
customers whilst in the store they can do so 1000 ways without trying
to take £90.00 off of ordinary shoppers.

In fact one wonders what the magical attraction of the £90.00 charge
is. - Oh yes I forgot, you can spend it . *:-))

If they
reduced it to one hour then in theory it should have twice the parking
spaces available for genuine Lidl shoppers, and discourage people who
take advantage of Lidl car parking spaces by wandering away to do their
shopping at other places.

If you are trying to tell us you would move your car out of a
supermarket car parking space if you had to go to a Bank or the Post
Office, in the full knowledge that there would be no parking there I
don't believe you.

Pull the other one - it's got bells on.

Derek

Given that some councils are contracting parking enforcement out to
cowboy organisations, just as Lidl have done, what are the legal
implications of that? Presumably the council will be the ones taking you
to court, the ticket having been issued on their behalf. I suppose it's
unlikely Lidl would take you to court, whereas the council might well do.- Hide quoted text -

Local authorities have powers granted by statute, and (presumably) are
entitled to devolve these powers to contracted bodies.

The agency in question here has no statutory standing.