Posted to uk.d-i-y
pete pete is offline

Default OT - Parking scam at Lidl

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:19:21 +0100, Donwill wrote:
On 16/07/2010 08:39, pete wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 08:26:05 +0100, Donwill wrote:

On 15/07/2010 12:02, Another Dave wrote:

For years I've parked at Lidl in Uttoxeter. I've done my shopping in
town and returned to shop in Lidl; fair enough I have used their car
park. This morning I returned to find a £90 parking ticket issued by
UKPC issued the minute I left Lidl's car park.

There is a sign which says in BIG letters that parking is restricted
to 2 hours and below this, in much smaller letters, that you must not
leave the site. It appears they employ somebody to watch you leave and
issue a ticket (but not to warn you that you're in danger of a
ticket). They don't care if you shop at Lidl or not.

From now on I won't be shopping at Lidl or anywhere else that employs
UKPC.

Another Dave

If Lidll have a problem with lack of space in their car park the thing
to do is to reduce the parking time from 2hrs to something less than one
hour. How long does it take to shop in Lidls ? half an hour is probably
enough, add another say 15 mins for the slow coaches, surely that's the
sensible approach.
Don

But if that's as long as it takes (and no-one overstays by leaving the
site) then there's nothing to be gained from dropping the limit from 2 hours.
Since everyone would be in-parked-shopped-out in the 45 minutes it takes.
Unless that Lidls car park is a destination in its own right and people
go there for the experience - though I can't imagine why.

At the moment people know that they cannot park for more than two hours
otherwise they will be penalised quite fairly in my opinion. If they
reduced it to one hour then in theory it should have twice the parking
spaces available for genuine Lidl shoppers, and discourage people who
take advantage of Lidl car parking spaces by wandering away to do their
shopping at other places.

It would only double the capacity if everyone who uses it now stayed to
the maximum time allowed - 2 hours. However if they only stay for the time
it takes them to shop, then until the parking time limit is less than this,
no reduction will have an effect.
What Lidl have done in this case is effectively say "you can only stay for
as long as your shopping in the store takes, OR for 2 hours: whichever is
the shorter".
Since we've agreed that the median time is somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes
the 2 hour limit becomes moot. Consequently reducing this will not increase
the number of vacant parking spots.

--
www.thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/page2.php