Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default True ROI?? Solar power

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
"Stu Fields" wrote in message
.. .
Having welding, machining, and ceramic equipment, our power bill was
getting out of hand. ( than $200/mo) We recently installed 30- 230w
solar panels and now have watched our power meter go backwards at rates
up to 6sec/rev. In just a few days our panels generated more than 200kwh
and one of those days had cloud cover. Oh and we used the solar
installation to also create a car port. It may take a few years to
recover the cost, but just watching that meter go backwards was worth
quite a bit.

Are you factoring in the maintenance of the panels such as cleaning,
replacement as needed, etc.

How about battery (presuming you have them) replacement, etc?

If you are still ahead of the game in 10 years, then you must live
somewhere very sunny and very flat...

Here in NJ, it has been proven that until the cost of the components and
the maintenance come down a bit further, there is no savings to the end
user and probably not to the environment either. Basically, the end user
is fortifying the power company's infrastructure with their own investment
of funds. ...

Dats a very astute observation!!!
Once again, the consumer takes it in the ass -- and once again, by their own
hand!
Diabolically elegant, even!!!

I did some thumbnail calcs on alt.home.repair on Solar Cell ROIs, and took
quite a bit of **** from some of the assholes over there.
It started when one astute fellow pointed out that the solar cells
themselves are not forever, and have a life expectancy of only about 20
years.

I said to myself, Holy ****, and thusly did those thumbnail calcs, and came
back with like 75 years ROI!!! Or worse!!!
Iow, you NEVER get your money back, in most cases.

Sorta like a Prius vs. a Honda Fit.... You will NEVER recoup all those
extra bucks spent on a Prius, unless gas goes to $12/gal -- which I predict
it will. Nine of those dollars will proly be a tax, to clean up BP's oil
spill.

And keep in mind, your meter may whiz backwards, but the utility ain't
paying you *anywhere near* what you are paying them, per kWhr. Not even
1/10th, I'll bet...

And plus, given the filings/permits required for licensed hookups, etc etc,
you will likely trigger a "taxable event" or re-assessment on yer hovel,
since you took the trouble to improve said hovel.

It would be inneresting to see what some of the rcm brainiacs calc out for a
REAL ROI, factoring in a lifespan of the cells themselves.

N'Yawkers are taking it in the ass with their utility bills. ConnEd lists
the kWhr rate at about 10c, but when you get done, with all their effing
"delivery and service" charges, the effing rate is about 30c kWhr.

Heh, mind**** leads to ass****, once again.

Don't get me wrong, ahma Big Greenie, but I've also got a very sore ass.

--
EA

And that's why the power companies give some $ to home owners and
businesses to make such changes. They know the curve and know where the
money-making is for them.

...They can't very well build more power generation plants around here so
it's also their only hope to keep up as the older sites shut down, etc.

Places like AZ and NM, etc. can be worthwhile for the end user as long as
they keep the panels clean, the system maintained, etc.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244