Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R.Birch David R.Birch is offline

Default On the trail anecdote

On 7/15/2010 7:36 PM, Jeff R. wrote:
"Gunner wrote in message

So why do people carry the poodle caliber?

Hmmm...
I suspect James "PPK" Bond might offer a contrary opinion..

The Bond PPK was a .32ACP, slightly more accurate than the .380, but a
lot less powerful.

...and if anyone suggests that I'm using fiction to support a factual claim,
well, I think *that* accusation could be more accurately directed to
"someone else" (think "Walter Mitty") in this thread (and this group, for
that matter.)

Besides, I'd trust James Bond to be accurate and fact-based way ahead of
"Great-Cull" Gunner.

Ian Fleming was notorious for researching his technical data, then
screwing it up when it came to writing the novels. More believable
than Great-Null Gunner, though.

Also - at the risk of invoking Godwin's, it seems that "poodle calibre" was
enough to finish off Adolph himself...
(Well - OK - it was pretty close range, but it seems to have done the job.)

It was a wise guy shot, direct to the head, and he'd already taken poison.

David