Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default On the trail anecdote

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:07:20 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 12:42:22 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:17:06 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 03:20:45 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Most experts, including Ayoob, recommend selecting the heaviest
caliber that one can shoot well, and .380 is on their lists of viable
SD calibers.

Way way way at the bottom of his list btw...G

At the bottom, but on the list.

Death by drinking floor polish is on the list as well..way down..but on
the list.

No, floor polish as a beverage isn't on Ayoob's list of suitable
calibers.

Avoiding the object?

You do understand why its on the BOTTOM of the list...right?

Sure. Something has to be at the bottom. The unsuitable calibers
aren't on the list at all.

Blink blink...the fact of the matter Don..is the .380 is at the very
very bottom edge of suitble cartridges for self defense. Period. End
Program. Full Stop.

Ayoob certainly doesn't place that degree of emphasis on the
differences between calibers.

Oddly..it appears you havent read all of his works.
Or the works of "many many of the experts"

It wouldn't be on the lists at all if it was regarded as unsuitable by
very, very experts.

Yes Don..it would be.

No, Gunner, it wouldn't be.

Yes Don..it would be. Because it is "usable"

Say..I see they are making Gold Dots for the .25. Thats where you
really should be going. Smaller. That expanding 36 grain bullet wont
put any strain on you when shooting, and you can carry at least 6 of
them in a tiny bity little teenywienie pistol you can carry in your
shirt pocket and never even leave a bulge.

And there is a vast difference between "usable"
and perfered.

In some cases, .380ACP is preferred. One case is that it is highly
preferred over not being armed at all. Another case is if an
individual gets significantly better shot placement with that caliber
than with a larger caliber.

Which cases might those be?

So you are claiming that better cartridges are nearly impossible for the
shooter to learn to hit with, so its better to stay with something that
may or may not prevent the bad guys from sucking up your rounds, and
then cutting your throat?

Interesting world view you maintain.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Read the very last paragraph.

Else you would be carrying nothing but a 1/4" ratchet in your tool box.
After all..it will undo nuts and bolts...right?

I have three sizes of ratchets in my toolbox, more than 3 calibers in
my safe -- and I don't routinely carry any ratchet at all.

So you dont have tools in your vehicles? Blink blink....

And if the safe was a good place to keep your street weapon...what sort
of dolly would you suggest one to use?

Which is why I as a very very experienced shooter and
unfortunately..someone who has had to discharge a firearm in defense of
his life...discourage people from carrying one.

So you are claiming that when someone says the Yugo is simply too damned
small for anything...anyone who reads that is simply going to become a
pedestrian?

If he has to carry it, probably so!

Fascinating. Many millions of people carry daily concealed weapons on
their persons that weigh at least a pound or more...and since they are
under great handicap as a group..if they found out that they were
weighted down..would stop carrying suitable weapons.

(attempt to change the intent of my comment noted)

Im rather fascinated by your continued attempts to divert from my graven
in stone comments and whatnot.

Shrug

You snipped out the vast majority of what I wrote...so obviously the
content bothered you.

And Im not interested enough to try to understand why it bothered you so
much.

Carry what you want Don.

I just hope you can live with your choices. Say..I was reading an
article the other day that indicated that perhaps FMJ might be best in a
tiny bellygun like the Ruger. Seems with only a 6" penetration at most
from most JHPs..it might not make it through important internal organs.

What brand will you be loading?

Some links to cleaning up the LCP
http://www.gunreports.com/special_re...ctor423-1.html

And a link to a firearm you really really need to think about carrying.
Its much lighter than even your LCP.

Its only 4 oz!!

http://www.naaminis.com/short.html

Gunner