Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default On the trail anecdote

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 12:42:22 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:17:06 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 03:20:45 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Most experts, including Ayoob, recommend selecting the heaviest
caliber that one can shoot well, and .380 is on their lists of viable
SD calibers.

Way way way at the bottom of his list btw...G

At the bottom, but on the list.

Death by drinking floor polish is on the list as well..way down..but on
the list.

No, floor polish as a beverage isn't on Ayoob's list of suitable
calibers.

You do understand why its on the BOTTOM of the list...right?

Sure. Something has to be at the bottom. The unsuitable calibers
aren't on the list at all.

Blink blink...the fact of the matter Don..is the .380 is at the very
very bottom edge of suitble cartridges for self defense. Period. End
Program. Full Stop.

Ayoob certainly doesn't place that degree of emphasis on the
differences between calibers.

It wouldn't be on the lists at all if it was regarded as unsuitable by
very, very experts.

Yes Don..it would be.

No, Gunner, it wouldn't be.

And there is a vast difference between "usable"
and perfered.

In some cases, .380ACP is preferred. One case is that it is highly
preferred over not being armed at all. Another case is if an
individual gets significantly better shot placement with that caliber
than with a larger caliber.

Else you would be carrying nothing but a 1/4" ratchet in your tool box.
After all..it will undo nuts and bolts...right?

I have three sizes of ratchets in my toolbox, more than 3 calibers in
my safe -- and I don't routinely carry any ratchet at all.

Which is why I as a very very experienced shooter and
unfortunately..someone who has had to discharge a firearm in defense of
his life...discourage people from carrying one.

So you are claiming that when someone says the Yugo is simply too damned
small for anything...anyone who reads that is simply going to become a
pedestrian?

If he has to carry it, probably so!