Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default Solar power

Ignoramus12838 wrote:
Can I put those panels on the roof of my house, is that usually
permitted? Half of my slanted roof is facing south.

I also do not care about batteries, if I can reduce my electric bill,
I will be happy.

yes. they have to be south facing (in the northern hemisphere). i have a
flat roof southwest facing, and they are tipped up about 15 degrees. optimum
tilt is different depending upon your latitude. they can't be shaded by
anything (parts of the roof, chimney, trees, etc).

http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=IMG_7617.jpg

http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=IMG_7617.jpg

most common sold now for residential is grid-tie. it uses the grid for a
reference voltage (when the converter detects the grid not there, it shuts
off), and backfeeds through a 50a double breaker in my main panel. my
install has 2 seperate cutoffs so i can work on the panel, a large knife
switch installed between the panel meter and the solar meter, and a rotary
switch on the converter.

i'm on time of day metering, so sell to the power company at high day rate,
and most use is at the low night rate. i should get a check at the end of
the year for excess power generation unless i fire my 8kw kiln a lot more
than usual.