Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default OT - Parking scam at Lidl

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 19:56:14 +0100, Peter Johnson
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 12:02:41 +0100, Another Dave
wrote:

For years I've parked at Lidl in Uttoxeter. I've done my shopping in
town and returned to shop in Lidl; fair enough I have used their car
park. This morning I returned to find a £90 parking ticket issued by
UKPC issued the minute I left Lidl's car park.

There is a sign which says in BIG letters that parking is restricted to
2 hours and below this, in much smaller letters, that you must not leave
the site. It appears they employ somebody to watch you leave and issue a
ticket (but not to warn you that you're in danger of a ticket). They
don't care if you shop at Lidl or not.

Setting aside that you did break the rules,

He never did agree to this set of rules. Simples.

Indeed if he has been parking there for years there would be an
argument to say that the operative set of rules are those established
by custom and practice over many years. IE free unmetered parking.

ignore the 'ticket'. Do
not enter any communication with them at all. They will write to you
several times over a period of months making threats about legal
action but ultimately nothing will come of it.

I have today heard from Control Account plc acting on behalf of Euro
Car Parks who claimed that I parked in a car park I don't even know
the location of more than100 miles from where I live last November. In
December, when they first wrote to me, they wanted £50. In March, in a
notice before action, they wanted £79.38. Now they will settle for £50
to avoid the initial expense of litigation. In my case they've made a
mistake but if you keep your nerve you'll be OK.

Derek