Posted to rec.woodworking
GROVER GROVER is offline

Default Belt Sander Belt Tape

On Jul 15, 12:09*am, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:
I picked up a large box of belts. They are new old stock. The belt
abrasive and
fabric are fine. When you run a belt it snaps apart at the taped joint
after a few
pressured revolutions.

The clear tape simply lets loose. We tried using standard plastic
packing tape which
is pretty strong stuff but that experiment did not test out. Just for
the sake of having
it handy, Gorilla duct tape went on and failed next.

Does anyone have a suggested tape or other fix so these belts are
usable?

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

My familiarity with this problem goes back many years. When I faced
the same experience of snapping belts, I was told that improper
storage was the culprit, ie storage in an un-heated, un-cooled
building.

I was also told the manufacturers of the belts have assembly presses
which cannot be duplicated at home.

The lesson to be learned here, IMHO, is to purchase small lots as
needed. Is there anyway to find out the date of manufacture as per a
carton of milk?

Joe G