Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y
I.curious I.curious is offline

Default Are these car brakes worn?

the-sbray has brought this to us :
On Jul 15, 1:15*pm, Jo wrote:
Hello,

My car was taken to a garage for an unrelated problem. The garage said
my brakes were worn and needed replacing. They charged me £30 for the
parts and £55 for labour (excluding VAT).

The guy seemed shifty - he said if I paid with cash I wouldn't need to
pay VAT!

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8355/brakediscs.jpg

Are these brakes worn and were his charges reasonable? I estimate the
thickness of the abrasive portion of the parts to be 5mm thick.

Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, I'm a medical student!

Thanks.

Jo

No they are not worn. Those pads have 1000's of miles left.

They are worn, but not worn out. Doing my own servicing I would have a
set in readiness to go on and be keeping a close eye on them. If some
else does your servicing they would be correct to suggest fitting new,
rather than letting them run.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)