Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are these car brakes worn?

Spamlet wrote:
"Jo" wrote in message

Adrian wrote:
Jo gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

My car was taken to a garage for an unrelated problem. The garage said
my brakes were worn and needed replacing. They charged me £30 for the
parts and £55 for labour (excluding VAT).
Are these brakes worn and were his charges reasonable? I estimate the
thickness of the abrasive portion of the parts to be 5mm thick.

They look like they've got plenty of life left.

£30 for parts? What car?

£55 to change 'em? Depends where you are. In the SE, that's towards the
lower end of average for an hour's labour - which is not unreasonable.
For a little back-street place in the frozen wastelands ooop north, it
seems steep.

I live in Cambridge. He charged for 1.5 hours of labour and just the
brake pads were replaced.

Jo

You may have got off lightly too. Plenty of places seem to insist that you
need new discs as well...

indeed. And then failing to replace the totally seized callipers so the
new disk lasted a mere 500 miles.