Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Are these car brakes worn?

Jo wrote:
Hello,

My car was taken to a garage for an unrelated problem. The garage said
my brakes were worn and needed replacing. They charged me £30 for the
parts and £55 for labour (excluding VAT).

The guy seemed shifty - he said if I paid with cash I wouldn't need to
pay VAT!

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8355/brakediscs.jpg

Are these brakes worn and were his charges reasonable? I estimate the
thickness of the abrasive portion of the parts to be 5mm thick.

Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, I'm a medical student!

Thanks.

Jo

The pictures are too dark too see anything, the pads just look like black
shapes and no detail is visible, although on the second one you posted, it
looks like the edges of the abrasive part are 'rounded'.

85 quid's not bad for having front brakes done, and why get so uppity about
him wanting to save you some cash? - you would have given him an extra £20,
which he would then have handed over to the taxman, what's the point in
that?

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008