Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

Default Are these car brakes worn?

Adrian wrote:
Jo gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Thanks, here's another picture of them:

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5119/brakepads2.jpg

Mmm. That one doesn't look too clever at all. See how the friction
material appears to be starting to separate from the back plate, and some
of the edges?

I take back my earlier comments. If t'were me, they'd be heading binwards.

Me too. And judging by te corrosion, I wouldn't think the calipers were
in a good state either. Probably took hours to unstick the buggers.

When I used to do this sort of stiff as almost a living, we eventually
found that the best thing to do was take the lot off, skim the discs,
strip the callipers and redo seals or replace as necessary, stick new
pads in and bleed them to eternity, that way the customer got good
brakes. that we could guarantee.

Arrrgh! I am sooo angry. Cheating students must call for the lowest sort
of scum.

Did he even know you were a student? Do you think students should be
treated differently to anybody else?

I've seen vile scams perpetrated on anyone who looks stupid enough to
accept them. Been done to me several times. I keep going back to
Marshall's, because by and large although they are not cheap, I have
found them scrupulous and workmanlike. And if its not right after, they
WILL fix it FOC.

But, old cars cost more to fix.They are *******s to get apart. I once
lived over a rally garage. Speed of maintenance is everything in
rallying. No nut wasn't locked, and no bolt was ever used twice. I used
to help myself to the scrap bin of second hand used bolts, with their
blessing.

BUT they knew that every single component could be removed precisily ina
guaranteed time. Because every nit was tightened with a torque wrench
to its proper setting, and the cars never had time to rust..the chief
mechanic got a 'mechanic of the rally' award for changing a Ford Escort
clutch in 17 miunutes lying upside down in the rain somewhere in
Wales..I would say 7-10 minutes for brake pads would be on the cards.

I've removed whole wheel hubs to get pads out on older cars.