Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Parking scam at Lidl

Tim Watts wrote:
Another Dave
wibbled on Thursday 15 July 2010 12:02

For years I've parked at Lidl in Uttoxeter. I've done my shopping in
town and returned to shop in Lidl; fair enough I have used their car
park. This morning I returned to find a £90 parking ticket issued by
UKPC issued the minute I left Lidl's car park.

There is a sign which says in BIG letters that parking is restricted to
2 hours and below this, in much smaller letters, that you must not leave
the site. It appears they employ somebody to watch you leave and issue a
ticket (but not to warn you that you're in danger of a ticket). They
don't care if you shop at Lidl or not.

From now on I won't be shopping at Lidl or anywhere else that employs
UKPC.

Another Dave

Stupid way to do it IMO.

The "right" way is to have a Pay and Display machine and refund the cost of
the ticket if you buy more than £5, £10, whatever's worth of shopping in
Lidl (they make tickets with tear off stubs for this, used in Sainsburies'
car park in Tonbridge).

I often do something like you - stupid to keep moving the car contributing
to town congestion.

The right way to do it is either not to charge at all, unless you exceed
say 5 hours, or have a barrier and charge unless you can show aq vlid
invoice for goods ijn excess of some serious money.

Waitrose does both: They do not mind being used as a town center car
park provided you still do the weekly shopping there.

Its only whne you hand parking over to a company that has to make a
profit out of it that you start getting jobsworths whose jobs depend on
issuing lots of swingeing fines, that people get ****ed off with the
whole affair.

There are whole towns run like that that I simply don't go to any more.