Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove aflywheel?

On Jul 14, 8:30*pm, Tony wrote:
Larry W wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
I sure hope you ordered a new flywheel. That one is now dangerous to
use. Seriously. Someone could be killed.

Oh for God's sake! Why not just recommend he buy a whole new mower
already!

Seriously, he said he SAW the flywheel bend! *If he could have actually
seen it bend, it's most likely cracked. *My guess is he didn't really
see it bend.

In my misspent youth, I tried big gear pullers on mower flywheels & as
described they will flex and still not release. I have seen one bend,
& put it right back into service. It never showed any sign of the
abuse and served until the piston ring seal was so poor you had to mow
with a screw driver in your pocket to adjust the mixture as it warmed
up, at which point the entire rig was retired. I think the fragility
of the flywheel is badly overstated.