Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Belt Sander Belt Tape

Josepi wrote:
Are those belts not glued together by a long angular joint that encompasses
the whole belt circumference?

My belts have a long angular joint across the width of the belt.

This would make the belt pretty hard to tape together. Some sort of adhesive
would be in order.

The joint is a half lap joint. As long as the break is clean, it is
simple to line it up perfectly, it's really automatic since it's a half
lap joint. Tape, hot melt glue would not work. Super glue gel works
great, and is simple since the glue dries in seconds, and is thin enough
that the seam is not raised, and is just as flat as it was at the factory.

I just did this two weeks ago, and after several uses it's holding up
fine. Can't say it will hold up forever or not, but I can say, for
certain, it will hold up for two weeks and about an hour of sanding...

Saved me an emergency trip to Granger and it took almost zero effort to fix.

It could be very hard to get the belts to track properly after repair.

Tracking was not an issue, since the joints line up perfectly with
little fuss. A bump at the seam is no problem since super glue is thin,
even the gel type. Hot melt and tape I would think would fail to work
at all.

--
Jack
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.