Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whole house fan - possible to add variable speed?

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:24:39 -0400, Tony wrote:

keith wrote:
On Jul 14, 1:58 pm, Tony wrote:
keith wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n...Speed%20Contro...
Those are simple "dimmer" style controls. They are *not* for
induction motors.
http://www.kbelectronics.com/kbsearc..._kbwc_115k.htm
It says Shaded Pole motors, which ARE induction motors. Unless you can
show me a shaded pole motor that is not an induction motor? I'd love to
see it!

You won't find a whole house fan that uses a shaded pole motor, but go
ahead and smoke your fan.

I said those dimmers were indeed for shaded pole motors, someone
disagreed, I don't really care who it was. But the fact is that the
speed controls I suggested can be used on shaded pole motors.

I didn't see anyone saying that they weren't for shaded pole motors (or
universal motors, for that matter), only to *not* use them on induction
motors.

Hell, I don't even have a whole house fan, so I don't suppose there is
much chance of me smoking my fan. Unless it was made of hemp. No not
really.

The thread is about controlling the speed of whole house fans, idiot.