Posted to rec.woodworking
Edward Hennessey[_2_] Edward  Hennessey[_2_] is offline

Default Belt Sander Belt Tape

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
On 7/15/2010 12:09 AM, Edward Hennessey wrote:
I picked up a large box of belts. They are new old stock. The belt
abrasive and
fabric are fine. When you run a belt it snaps apart at the taped
joint
after a few
pressured revolutions.

The clear tape simply lets loose. We tried using standard plastic
packing tape which
is pretty strong stuff but that experiment did not test out. Just
for
the sake of having
it handy, Gorilla duct tape went on and failed next.

Does anyone have a suggested tape or other fix so these belts are
usable?

There's a special tape used.
http://www.adktapes.com/products.html Probably end up costing more
than it's worth to fix your belts.

JC:

Thanks for the site, which I checked. Although no prices were
disclosed,
I'm not betting against your probability. What is the storage life on
taped abrasive belts?

Klingspor has been cited in the past as a good bonded abrasive source.
Does anyone have further ideas on any initial customer qualifications
and
comparable quality? We could consolidate a good order especially if
they offer diamond abrasives for stone work.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey