Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring a phone jack

Good thing we're not doing color codes for resistors. I might have to
recite the old jingle, and that wouldn't be PC. Lot to be said for
standardizing color codes.

--
..
"Evan" wrote in message

You only seem to know the secondary colors of the 25 pair code...

The primary colors always come first:

White, Red, Black, Yellow, Violet...

The come the secondary colors you refer to:

Blue, Orange, Green, Brown, Slate...

So the correct way to refer to the pairs for the first two lines a

White with Blue stripe is the tip on the 1st pair,
Blue with White stripe is the ring on the 1st pair...
White with Orange stripe is the tip on the 2nd pair,
Orange with White stripe is the ring on the 2nd pair...

The old residential color scheme was:

Solid Green is the tip on the 1st pair,
Solid Red is the ring on the 1st pair...
Solid Black is the tip on the 2nd pair,
Solid Yellow is the ring on the 2nd pair...

As long as you keep to that scheme and wire the
correct pairs together, you will not have a problem
in the future trouble shooting any work you do now...
Nor will the next guy that ends up buying your house...

The only important thing is to not use the wires
randomly, as it would take a skilled technician
some time to sort out your willy-nilly use of the
wires with a toner and probe to redo it properly...

~~ Evan