Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring a phone jack

I found the phone line that has 6 conductors.
White wire w/ Orange
White wire w/ Green
Green wire w/ White
Blue wire w/ white
White wire w/ Blue
Orange wire w/ White

I ran a wire but it has 4 conductors.
Red
Green
Yellow
Black

How do i wire this for Verizon DSL ?
Do i have to use all 6 Conductor's ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:

I found the phone line that has 6 conductors.
White wire w/ Orange
White wire w/ Green
Green wire w/ White
Blue wire w/ white
White wire w/ Blue
Orange wire w/ White

I ran a wire but it has 4 conductors.
Red
Green
Yellow
Black

How do i wire this for Verizon DSL ?
Do i have to use all 6 Conductor's ?

Tried google for info?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message

I found the phone line that has 6 conductors.
White wire w/ Orange
White wire w/ Green
Green wire w/ White
Blue wire w/ white
White wire w/ Blue
Orange wire w/ White

I ran a wire but it has 4 conductors.
Red
Green
Yellow
Black

How do i wire this for Verizon DSL ?
Do i have to use all 6 Conductor's ?

This is what I have done, and it works for me. It is getting more difficult
to do, as the old type phones are not available any more.

Wires come into the house in pairs, and the number of pairs dictate the
number of lines. 8 wires, four lines. 4 wires, two lines.

Wires are used in pairs. The solid color and the striped one with that same
color with the white stripe is one line. You can use a test phone and touch
the wires to the incoming lugs, and when you hit the right two wires, you
will get a dial tone.

It's that simple.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:

I found the phone line that has 6 conductors.
White wire w/ Orange
White wire w/ Green
Green wire w/ White
Blue wire w/ white
White wire w/ Blue
Orange wire w/ White

I ran a wire but it has 4 conductors.
Red
Green
Yellow
Black

How do i wire this for Verizon DSL ?
Do i have to use all 6 Conductor's ?

Tried google for info?

I can see that you know absolutely nothing about the subject. Let me
explain how this newsgroup works. People write in with questions, and if
someone has knowledge, they answer back. To refer someone to google is
saying, "I'm stupid and I don't know anything about your question. Why
don't you go to the library?"
If you don't know anything, it's okay. Really. Just don't look like a fool
by saying go to google. Just get out of the way and let someone who knows
give the person answers.

HTH, but I really doubt it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"LouB" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:

I found the phone line that has 6 conductors.
White wire w/ Orange
White wire w/ Green
Green wire w/ White
Blue wire w/ white
White wire w/ Blue
Orange wire w/ White

I ran a wire but it has 4 conductors.
Red
Green
Yellow
Black

How do i wire this for Verizon DSL ?
Do i have to use all 6 Conductor's ?

Tried google for info?

Your answer is reminiscent of a fellow who used to post over on
another newsgroup. He had a travel website with reports about
cruise ships, ports and excursions on it. Whenever someone would
post to the newsgroup with a question about a ship etc. the fellow
would post something to the effect, "You should visit my website
at http://www.kenxxx.com where you will find answers to your
questions." If you're going to refer someone to Google or Bing,
perhaps it would be more appropriate and productive to at least
include the phrase they should use in the search or even some of
your own search result URL's.

Nonny
--
On most days,
it’s just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"LouB" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:
[...]

It must really hard thinking you know all the answers.

This search matching multi-color phone wires to old solid colors
Got this result: About 138,000 results (0.47 seconds)
Here is the link:
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...d+solid+colors

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nonny wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

"LouB" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:

[...]

Feed a man a fish feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish feed for a lifetime.

BUT you can not teach how to think:-((
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/08/2010 10:38 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 08 Jul 2010 07:08:30a, desgnr told us...

I found the phone line that has 6 conductors.
White wire w/ Orange
White wire w/ Green
Green wire w/ White
Blue wire w/ white
White wire w/ Blue
Orange wire w/ White

I ran a wire but it has 4 conductors.
Red
Green
Yellow
Black

How do i wire this for Verizon DSL ?
Do i have to use all 6 Conductor's ?

Most of us would probably be guessing since there is no apparent
direct correlation between the colors. Why not call Verizon
technical support?

actually there is. his first wire is a CAT5 or CAT6 network cable. The
second is a regular phone wire. There are standards for how to hook up
both. I'm too lazy to google it right now but hopefully I've thrown
enough keywords out there to get him the info he needs. (I don't know
the answer off the top of my head as I have not run into CATx used for
phone wiring yet, but I understand it is becoming common on new
construction.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

LouB wrote:

It must really hard thinking you know all the answers.

This search matching multi-color phone wires to old solid colors
Got this result: About 138,000 results (0.47 seconds)
Here is the link:
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...d+solid+colors

So you're telling the world that one of those 138,000 (about) answers in 47
seconds has the correct information the OP is looking for? If you want to
be anything but a smartass google recommender, then provide the particular
correct link. I trust that everybody here knows how to use google and the
many other search engines.

Teach a braggart to keep his mouth shut and you'll be teaching him to live a
long life, possibly even with friends..

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 10:35:18 -0700, "Nonny" wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

"LouB" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:

[...]

I always google for "I have a problem". I learned that from some of
the subject lines in this and other ngs.

It seems to work well. I get loads of hits, though I think it's the
same ones each time.

Nonny

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"LouB" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:
[...]

So what's the correct answer, or haven't you learned how to do that one?
Here's the answer.
http://tiny.cc/kowvv

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 14:56:30 -0400, "desgnr"
wrote:

It does not work, I even tried to reverse The Red & Green
Still does not work.

About the best way to precede is to trace down the cable and find out
what it goes too.

If you can take a picture of any splices, it is easier for many to
determine what you have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" wrote in message

"LouB" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"LouB" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:
[...]

actually, it's .......... plonk. cya

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 2:56*pm, "desgnr" wrote:
I connected MY RED to Blue with White
I connected MY Black to White *with Orange
I connected MY Yellow to Orange with White
I connected MY Green to White with Blue

It does not work, I even *tried to reverse The Red & Green
Still does not work.

How do i wire this for Verizon DSL ?
Do i have to use all 6 Conductor's ?

I called Verizon & they did'nt have the answer for me."desgnr" wrote in message

Are you certain that the wiring you connected into was itself wired
into the customer demarc box on the side of your house ?

If you wired everything the way you described it above, you are
following the proper color code, you just have to make sure that
the wires you are attaching to are in fact hooked up to something...

As far as wiring for DSL, you need to get your new wire working
for voice first before you even can worry about getting DSL on the
line... Usually where wires are available, DSL would be on a
second pair of lines with a DSL filter installed at the demarc
point and then you would only wire up that DSL pair to be used
as line 1 at the outlet you want to use your modem/router at...

You either need to figure this out on your own or face hiring a
telecom/networking company to handle the issue for you as
the phone company typically doesn't want to get involved in
anything to do with customer premises wiring past the demarc
point...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 21:12:32 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

As far as wiring for DSL, you need to get your new wire working
for voice first before you even can worry about getting DSL on the

So true.

line... Usually where wires are available, DSL would be on a
second pair of lines with a DSL filter installed at the demarc

Well Verizon sends its customers kits, -- and I think even if you hire
them to do it, it would be the same -- which use just one pair for
voice and DSL. It uses filters to keep the DSL stuff out of the voice
part of the system.

point and then you would only wire up that DSL pair to be used
as line 1 at the outlet you want to use your modem/router at...

You either need to figure this out on your own or face hiring a
telecom/networking company to handle the issue for you as
the phone company typically doesn't want to get involved in
anything to do with customer premises wiring past the demarc
point...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It is MUCH better to put the DSL on a separate pair after a
whole house DSL filter...

That way when you start having problems with the DSL you
only have ONE FILTER to check out and replace rather than
one at each phone location using the DSL and voice on the
same pair...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 7:45*am, terry wrote:

Agree.
One of the first things a telecommunications worker learns
is .............
Blue, orange, green, brown, slate.
The basic wiring code colours.

From that basis one gets .....................
First pair; Blue + white.
Second pair; Orange + white etc.

Also agree that on the telephone side Green-Red (In North American
practice anyway) is the telephone line where one would normally find
dial tone etc.

It may also be worth mentioning that from a technical point of view
the two wires of each pair are twisted together, each pair at a
different rate, to minimize/avoid interaction between the different
circuits. So it can be important to use the pairs correctly.

LOL...

You only seem to know the secondary colors of the 25 pair code...

The primary colors always come first:

White, Red, Black, Yellow, Violet...

The come the secondary colors you refer to:

Blue, Orange, Green, Brown, Slate...

So the correct way to refer to the pairs for the first two lines a

White with Blue stripe is the tip on the 1st pair,
Blue with White stripe is the ring on the 1st pair...
White with Orange stripe is the tip on the 2nd pair,
Orange with White stripe is the ring on the 2nd pair...

The old residential color scheme was:

Solid Green is the tip on the 1st pair,
Solid Red is the ring on the 1st pair...
Solid Black is the tip on the 2nd pair,
Solid Yellow is the ring on the 2nd pair...

As long as you keep to that scheme and wire the
correct pairs together, you will not have a problem
in the future trouble shooting any work you do now...
Nor will the next guy that ends up buying your house...

The only important thing is to not use the wires
randomly, as it would take a skilled technician
some time to sort out your willy-nilly use of the
wires with a toner and probe to redo it properly...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Good thing we're not doing color codes for resistors. I might have to
recite the old jingle, and that wouldn't be PC. Lot to be said for
standardizing color codes.

--
..

[...]

Adding a phone jack ..Jack.. [email protected] Home Repair 10 June 22nd 08 08:14 PM
Wireless phone jack Frank Home Repair 10 March 22nd 06 08:56 PM
phone jack help needed qdot Electronics Repair 5 October 4th 05 11:12 PM
Phone Jack Wiring ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 March 29th 05 01:16 AM
Adding a phone jack? Marc Wolfe Home Repair 10 February 17th 05 10:42 PM