Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default The Gulf Disaster: a geologists take

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:30:37 -0500, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:56:30 -0500, basilisk
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 05:36:25 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy wrote:

On Jul 14, 12:41Â*am, "__ Bøb __" wrote:
"BP engineers planned to shut off pipes that are already funneling
some oil to two ships, to see how the cap handles the pressure of
the crude coming up from the ground. Then they planned to close, one
by one, three valves that let oil pass through the cap."

Got to catch a few more dollars worth of oil, before turning off the
spigot, eh?

They have to stop the flow gradually .. if they slam it shut, it will
cause the world's largest case of "water hammer" and it could be
enough to blow a hole someplace in the earth's crust that could NEVER
be repaired.

These are people who only care about 'yield'. Now their gold is
flowing into the Gulf instead of their coffers. They truly don't give
a rat's ass about the environment other than the fact that it affects
their 'brand'. Yes, BP would like to stop the negative publicity but
their true and main concern is to have their cake AND eat it too. They
want to look good, but keep the oil as well. They would like to make
that naughty well pay for the clean-up.

Don't know about the rest of the country or Canada, but there are a lot
of BP stations in the South and in the last 3 weeks the larger BP logos
are disappearing from the stations. The only place the BP logo is left
is on the flourescent signs, I guess it takes longer to replace the
signs.

Haven't seen any, though there's only a couple of BP stations in the
county. I didn't see any fewer on the way to Atlanta last weekend, or
Birmingham two weeks earlier.

Could be a local thing, I don't know if all the stations in my area
are owned by one entity or not.

And as far as that pinprick in the earth's crust is concerned? That's
like worrying about a hippo's bowels trying to ooze out through a
mosquito bite. BP uses a well-proven tactic by using fear so that the
population can applaud them when they finally triumph over this
leak...but they want to keep the oil too.

Might as well use it now that it is turned loose.

BP has only one motive. ONE only. It is called money. They will say,
do, promise anything with a straight face to get things their way, and
considering the political connections those oil people have, they have
a great pool of PR resources to draw from; the Republicans who have a
bit of experience in that (Iraq) sort of thing.

I personally don't care if BP survives as a viable company or not (it
will). However, hopefully they can be forced into supporting those most
affected and cleaning up at least part of the spill.

I hope they do. I'd rather not have one fewer competitor.

I wonder which BP department is busier these days. Public Relations or
Engineering.

I would bet there is more sweating and hand wringing in the PR
department.

Alabama has more pressing problems than greasy beaches, starving
fishermen and a shut down tourist industry, we have bingo wars.

I don't know how the "bingo" parlors stayed open as long as they did.
I've only been here a couple of years, but obviously the entire state is
corrupt.