Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Replacement windows or new storms and screens?

On Jul 14, 12:10*pm, Ivan wrote:
On Jul 14, 12:45*pm, "JimT" wrote:

"LSMFT" wrote in message

Confuzzled in Sloatsburg wrote:
We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows.
They are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

Replace with vinyl replacements of the E squared energy star efficient
type. Cheaper cost and larger return. Also reduces your heating/air
conditioning costs.

I had to buy vinyl replacements to get the $1500 fed tax credit. They're
cheaper too. They look really nice too.

What are the trade-offs between vinyl and wood replacement windows? I
know vinyl is cheaper and needs no painting. I also know from a
friend's experience that in a fire they can melt.- Hide quoted text -

Some flex, cant hold a window AC, are not approved for apartments
here. I wonder about painting, wood should insulate better and
aluminum doesnt insulate, im sure there are more reasons to compare.