Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Replacement windows or new storms and screens?

"Ivan" wrote in message
On Jul 14, 12:45 pm, "JimT" wrote:
"LSMFT" wrote in message

Confuzzled in Sloatsburg wrote:
We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows.
They are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

Replace with vinyl replacements of the E squared energy star efficient
type. Cheaper cost and larger return. Also reduces your heating/air
conditioning costs.

I had to buy vinyl replacements to get the $1500 fed tax credit. They're
cheaper too. They look really nice too.

What are the trade-offs between vinyl and wood replacement windows? I
know vinyl is cheaper and needs no painting. I also know from a
friend's experience that in a fire they can melt.

====

Ya know, there are probably better answers on the web or from other posters.
We went with vinyl for the tax credit. We originally wanted aluminum, for
the style of the house, but the price was too high and the salesman talked
us into the vinyl.

My guess would be in a fire, compared to wood, there wouldn't be too much
difference. The wood ones would be more kindling. I'm pretty sure the vinyl
were the most energy efficient for the money. They are guaranteed from
defect for the life of the house (or us?) with a ten year transferable
warranty too.

The vinyl's look is somewhat similar to wood. Problem is you're stuck with
the mfg. colors and the darker the color the more expensive. But the ones we
had installed look really nice so I'm pleased with the appearance anyway. We
got as dark as we could. I've seen some of the lighter vinyl's in our
neighborhood and they just don't look right. The ones we got (Don Young
Windows/Doors, Dallas TX) have a faux wood grain too that looks nice. Great
installers and VERY resonable installation price. $85/window (install not
the window) and I talked him into a $85/window regardless of the size so he
did triple windows for the price of a single. Single story 1700 sf for less
than $4k. I've still got a couple to go so I don't know the exact price but
it will be less than $4k. But for $85 bucks a window it just didn't make any
since to do it myself.

Jim