Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to block UV from PEX

On Jul 14, 10:57*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:42*am, "Bob F" wrote:

jamesgangnc wrote:
Ive had a pvc supply in sun for 10 years, im suprised it still
intact, you are right not much UV will reflect up any way its
absorbed in the direct rays probably 90+%, When fabric fades from UV
is whats mainly in direct rays.- Hide quoted text -

Yea, I have some sections of pvc that have been outside for 15 years
now. *Sprinkler lines that come out of the side of the house down near
the ground. *They are in the shade from trees and bushes. *They don't
show any signs of serious damage. *I agree, pretty much need full
direct sunlight for any noticable uv damage on anything.

The first sign will be when you bump it and it shatters. UV basically makes the
PVC very brittle.

Why did people switch the topic from the OP's question about UV and
PEX degradation to discussing PVC? *They're two different animals.

I agree that the OP's situation doesn't present a problem.http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...6/gen06495.htm
The glass will filter most of the UV, and it's unlikely that the
significantly reduced strength of reflected UV will compromise the
PEX.

R- Hide quoted text -

They might be two different animals but both are not designed with uv
protection. The discussion didn't go from pex to pvc, it went from
pex to is there a general risk involving indirect exposure.